Women’s Detox Center Washington: Gender-Specific Drug and Alcohol Rehab
You may be wondering why women would need a separate women’s detox center Washington. After all, isn’t alcohol and drug abuse the same, regardless of gender? It may surprise you to learn that substance use disorders in men and women can be very different. That’s why there’s a need for specialized treatment at a women’s detox center Washington. Women have different biology than men that affects how their minds and bodies react to drugs and alcohol. Also, women face unique challenges in accessing addiction treatment due to the different culturally defined roles for men and women.
A women’s detox center Washington is a drug rehab facility that is staffed by a team of professionals who have the knowledge, experience, and compassion necessary to help women struggling with addiction. In other words, a women’s detox center Washington gives women with substance use disorders the special care they need for the best chance of recovery and a new life.
In this article, we’ll talk about how addiction affects women and how treatment at a women’s detox center Washington can help you in achieving lasting recovery from drug or alcohol addiction.
Gender Differences in Alcohol and Drug Abuse
Women experience unique struggles when it comes to substance abuse. For example, a woman who is a mother to young children may need to attend rehab at a facility that offers childcare. A women’s detox center Washington with a child care program may be ideal for such a woman as her children can receive quality care and education while she engages in addiction treatment.
In addition to the social constraints, women who use drugs may face specific health problems related to their biology. For instance, the clinical team at a women’s detox center Washington may be required to manage the effects of alcohol and drugs on hormones, menstruation, fertility, pregnancy, breastfeeding, or menopause in female patients.
There are several more reasons why women need specialized treatment at a women’s detox center Washington. Some of the gender-based differences in men and women concerning drug abuse and addiction are listed below.
- Women can become addicted to harmful substances more quickly than men, i.e., by using smaller amounts of certain drugs or using drugs for a shorter period before addiction develops. The availability of medical detox programs at a women’s detox center Washington can help women access treatment before their addiction becomes longstanding or severe.
- Women respond to harmful substances differently than men. For example, women may experience stronger drug cravings and therefore have a higher risk of relapse. Staff at a women’s detox center Washington are aware of these differences and can take proactive steps to prevent complications.
- Differences in sex hormones can make women more sensitive to certain drugs compared to men. The effects of drugs on the heart, blood vessels, and brain also vary between women and men.
- Without timely treatment at a women’s detox center Washington, women are more likely to need emergency treatment for drug overdoses and are also more likely to die from overdoses.
- Women are more likely to suffer from substance use disorders due to triggers like divorce, child custody battles, death of a partner, and domestic violence. Moreover, women are at a higher risk of anxiety and depression related to the abuse of certain drugs. A women’s detox center Washington can provide timely treatment and prevent the addiction from escalating.
Substance Use During Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding and using drugs or alcohol should seek treatment at a women’s detox center Washington as soon as possible. This is important because their substance abuse affects not only themselves but also their child. Many drugs can harm an unborn baby in pregnant drug users. For example, drug use can lead to birth defects, premature birth, miscarriage, small-sized babies, and sudden infant death.
There’s another reason to seek prompt care at a women’s detox center Washington. Regular use of drugs like opioids by a woman during pregnancy can lead to a condition called neonatal abstinence syndrome in which the baby develops a range of symptoms such as irritability, poor feeding, blotchy skin, diarrhea, and high-pitched crying. Prenatal care and detoxification at a women’s detox center Washington can help prevent many of these complications of neonatal abstinence syndrome.
Gender Differences in Addiction Treatment
As noted, women tend to progress more quickly than men from the first use of drugs to addiction. Women also respond differently to addiction treatment. For instance, nicotine patches for smoking addiction do not work as effectively for women as they do for men. What’s more, many women often avoid seeking care at a women’s detox center Washington for fear of legal difficulties (for example, losing custody of children) or social stigma (being labeled a bad mother).
Socioeconomic circumstances can also prevent women from getting effective residential addiction treatment. For example, a woman with children may be unable to attend rehab because she cannot afford childcare and has nowhere to leave her children. A women’s detox center Washington can help overcome many of these barriers, such as by providing child care, parenting classes, and vocational training.
Discover Recovery Women’s Detox Center Washington
Discover Recovery is a leading women’s detox center in Washington staffed by a highly experienced team of medical professionals. Our clinical team includes board-certified addiction treatment experts, licensed psychologists, and registered nurses who provide round-the-clock medical supervision and care during detox. The evidence-based medical detox program at our women’s detox center Washington is designed to cleanse the body of harmful substances while ensuring your safety and comfort. We use FDA-approved medications to reduce drug cravings and withdrawal symptoms during detoxification, making the process is as smooth as possible.
If you or someone you love needs treatment at a women’s detox center Washington, call Discover Recovery today. We have a range of programs with multiple levels of care to address your specific needs, including medical detox, residential addiction treatment, and an aftercare program for ongoing support.